State grants management
In October 2011, the State Auditor’s Office (SAO) released their audit report on state grants. Based on the results of the audit, SAO recommended that the Office of Financial Management (OFM) develop a clear definition of state grants and provide guidance on grants management to help ensure consistency across state agencies.
In response to these recommendations, OFM formed a workgroup of experts from several state agencies in the area of grants and contracts management to formulate guidance, develop tools, and identify resources for grants management.
The following resources are intended to provide general guidance for state agencies in the management and monitoring of state grants.
This Q&A document is a product of the workgroup. It addresses basic questions such as “What is a state grant?” and “What is a risk assessment?”
- Program risk-based self assessment - Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (Excel)
- On-site review checklist - Recreation Conservation Office - This document is a scanned image and is not accessible to those who use screen readers. Please contact the Accounting Division for assistance.
- Office of Crime Victim Advocates tool assessment - Department of Commerce (Word)
- Community Services Block Grant tool assessment - Department of Commerce (Excel)
- Housing Assistance Unit risk assessment questionnaire - Department of Commerce (Excel)
- State grants audit report - State Auditor's Office
- Audit resolution report on state grants - Office of Financial Management
- Establishing an Effective Grants Policy - Government Finance Officers Association
- General contracts guide - Department of Commerce
- Grants training - Department of Commerce
- Guide to managing your public transportation grant - Department of Transportation
- The Yellow Book - Department of Ecology
If you have questions about the content on or ideas for additions to this page, please contact Suzanne Coit.