Conducting interim reviews
Interim reviews give supervisors opportunities to:
- Discuss progress.
- Provide support and resources.
- Adjust expectations.
- Reduce evaluation anxiety.
Strategies for success
- Keep it simple. The purpose of interim reviews is to promote focused discussion between supervisors and employees during the year.
- Build a culture that values frequent feedback. Reinforce the expectation that employees deserve frequent feedback and that a primary function of supervisors is to help employees be successful.
- Consider multiple interim reviews. Semi-annual or quarterly reviews may prove more beneficial than just one per year.
- Contractual restrictions. Some Collective Bargaining Agreements only allow one formal review per year. Consider other alternatives such as informal feedback that is recorded in a supervisory file.
Tuesday, May 2, 2023