IT professional structure
What is the IT professional structure?
The IT professional structure is the general civil service classification and compensation structure specific to the states information technology workforce. This structure was developed to:
- Ensure enterprise and organizational alignment and equity
- Improve opportuntites for career growth
- Keep pace with the rate of information technology industry change
- Improve the states ability to benchmark work internally and externally
IT professional structure profile
This table shows the number of positions by job family (rows) and job level (columns):
Total number by
|IT Business Analysis||53||327||50||-||11||1||442|
|IT Customer Support||375||267||15||
|IT Data Management||33||263||86||-||23||1||406|
|IT Policy & Planning||1||9||20||-||35||42||107|
|IT Project Management||9||128||69||1||25||6||238|
|IT Quality Assurance||61||135||12||-||3||-||211|
|IT System Administration||178||626||156||1||19||4||984|
|IT Vendor Management||5||5||2||-||4||1||17|
|Network & Telecommunications||45||194||115||-||15||7||376|
|Total number by job level||936||2,680||907||25||324||87||4,959|
N/A = job level does not exist in that job family.
How is it different from other general civil service classification and compensation plans?
- Allocation decisions are made by the organizations ITPS evaluation committee. The committee requirements are established in rule (WAC 357-13-058) and committees must include IT and HR professionals. The ITPS evaluation committee is trained to apply clearly defined critieria used to evaluate the work of a position captured in the IT position description. Evaluation results are input in the enterprise IT Position Evaluation Tool for position history and reporting purposes.
The ITPS salary schedule consists of 11 ranges and 13 steps. Progression through the salary schedule is the same as other general civil service salary schedules. The difference in the ITPS salary schedule is each range is independent and not related to the other ranges. IT job classes (family + level) are assigned to one range on the new salary schedule.
Where can I find more information about the IT professional structure?
Online ITPS information
- ITPS job descriptions: Descriptions for each job level in each job family are found on the Classified Job Listing page.
- ITPS salary schedules: ITPS Salary schedules are posted under the Special Pay Ranges section on the Salary Schedules page.
- ITPS position description: Form used specifically for classificed IT positions posted on the HR Forms page.
- ITPS training: Online and classroom training specific to writing classified IT position descriptions and IT Evaluator's Training are posted in the states learning management system (LMS).