What we do
The Office of Financial Management provides vital information, fiscal services and policy support that the governor, Legislature and state agencies need to serve the people of Washington. We:
- Play a central role in budget planning, policy development, and fiscal administration for the executive branch.
- Prepare the executive budget proposal and monitor budget implementation.
- Develop and maintain state administrative and accounting policies and prepare statewide financial reports.
- Conduct executive policy research and develop legislation to support the Governor's policy goals.
- Provide estimates of state and local population, monitor changes in the state economy and labor force, and conduct research on a variety of issues affecting the state budget and public policy.
- Manage statewide human resource policy functions including classification, compensation, workforce data, recruitment and other policy functions.
- Support the state service commission (Serve Washington) whose goal is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic participation through service and volunteering.
We empower Washingtonians by helping state agencies and the Legislature connect people, budgets, policies, data and systems.
Working together for the equitable future of every Washingtonian.
Explore our 2023-25 Strategic Plan to learn more about our top priorities.
- Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB):
Diversity: We recognize our strength comes from every employee’s unique attributes. Diversity encompasses, but is not limited to, national origin, language, race, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and family structures.
Equity: We routinely recognize opportunities to enhance equity and redistribute power.
Inclusion: We consider the thoughts, ideas and perspectives of all OFM staff as a key component of our decision making.
Belonging: We engage the full potential of individuals by inviting them to be their whole authentic selves, and to integrate their views, beliefs and values into their work so that innovation thrives.
- Integrity: We conduct ourselves ethically, hold ourselves accountable, and we encourage clear and honest communication as we work with customers, stakeholders and coworkers.
- Innovation: We create value for our employees and customers by thinking outside the box and trying new things. We aren’t afraid to fail, and we strive to learn from our failures.
- Collaboration: We promote teamwork and partnerships, drawing on the experience of those impacted by our decisions so we can achieve common goals.
- Operational excellence: We define and demonstrate best practices, which lead to high-performance and consistent value for customers and employees. We are passionate about continuous improvement and look for efficiencies in everything we do.
Read about our commitment to using an equitable lens in all the services we provide — both internally and externally — to the customers and communities we serve across the state.