Performance planning and evaluation
For employees to succeed, they need to both know what success looks like, and receive regular coaching and feedback on their progress. The Performance and Development Plan (PDP) is a tool for facilitating communication between a supervisor and an employee about:
- The linkage between the employee's expected results and the organization's goals and performance measures.
- The employee's standards and expectations.
- The organization's commitments for training and development.
- The employee's progress, accomplishments, and needs for growth.
The PDP is designed to facilitate both performance planning and feedback for a specific performance period. Each new employee should have a performance plan when he or she begins.
WAC 357-37-040 states that employers must use standardized PDP forms or alternate forms approved by the Assistant Director for State Human Resources. Please contact the State HR division of OFM at SHRPlanning@ofm.wa.gov for more information about approval of alternate PDP forms.
Forms and rules
- Statewide PDP forms
- Statewide PDP instructions and user guide
- Performance management civil service rules