State of Washington Classified Job Specification
MANAGEMENT ANALYST 5
Class Series Concept
See MANAGEMENT ANALYST 3.
As the supervisor and/or expert, under administrative direction, provides expert level analyses to management, staff and both internal and external customers regarding highly complex, multidimensional issues impacting agency/institution-wide programs and policies.
Positions at this level provide agency/institution level business operations consultation on highly complex business issues:
- Performing proactive intervention and/or providing solutions having statewide or precedent setting impact.
- Making recommendations regarding highly complex, unprecedented issues involving organizational change, process improvement and policy development; or issues involving a broad scope and significant impact on outside agencies or institutions, organizations, statewide, and the public.
- Providing expert advice and consultation to executive management, internal departments and outside organizations with varying issues, diverse and conflicting interests.
- Serving as the agency representative for business analysis teams or projects with other public and private entities concerning business operations on behalf of executive management; and presents findings and recommendations to executive management;
- Producing or overseeing the production of complex reports for use by diverse groups such as highest levels of management, boards, commissions, elected officials, and/or other governmental entities.
Projects at this level frequently have high dollar impact on budget and/or revenue collections.
Implements process improvement solutions;
Oversees the production of complex reports addressing highly complex and unprecedented issues;
Leads multi-disciplinary project development team using process improvement strategies and including working with agency/institution IT staff to determine future system, equipment, software, policies, procedures, and staffing requirements;
Implements agency business operational plans;
Facilitates interaction between diverse groups on behalf of executive management; presents findings and recommendations to organization or department head, board, and/or commission;
Presents research findings and recommendations to elected officials and outside organizations; testifies at legislative hearings.
Performs other duties as required.
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, law, public health, health administration, or a related field and five years of demonstrated experience in two or more of the following areas:
- conducting research
- analyzing policies, laws, rules, or regulations
- conducting business analysis and developing requirements
- leading business projects
- managing business operations
- business policy development
For those positions required to supervise, experience must include at least one year of supervisory experience.
Class Specification History
Revised definition, distinguishing characteristics, typical work and desirable qualifications; adopted June 13, 2019; effective July 1, 2019.
Category concept level of reference was corrected from MA1 to MA3 effective 3/2/2020.