State of Washington Classified Job Specification
CLINICAL CYTOGENETIC TECHNOLOGIST TRAINEE
Class Series Concept
Perform cytogenetic laboratory procedures and analysis, utilizing general genetics and the basic biology of the mitotic cell cycle.
Participate in on-the-job training in cytogenetic laboratory procedures and analyses, using general genetics and the basic biology of the mitotic cell cycle.
Under direct supervision, participate in on-the-job training to learn and perform cytogenetic laboratory procedures and analyses.
Participate in structured training modes to perform the following:
- Scan slides for analyzable spreads; count and analyze selected spreads and evaluate acceptable quality;
- Karyotype the photographic prints using the standard format;
- Stain slides of chromosome spreads utilizing a variety of banding techniques, including G, R, C, Q, and NOR, etc.;
- Review patient request forms for accuracy of information and determine if previous cytogenetics studies were performed;
- Set up cultures for chromosome analysis on blood, bone marrow, solid tumor tissue, amniotic fluid or fibroblasts from skin, lung, etc.; harvest cultures on these specimens;
- Photograph selected chromosome spreads; develop and print film;
- Maintain documentation of the steps performed in preparation with appropriate labeling of test tubes and slides;
- Maintain records of all lab procedures;
- Summarize test results using the International System for Cytogenetic Nomenclature and write reports to present to faculty for approval;
Maintain a safe work environment following health and safety regulations and laboratory policies;
Attend and participate in laboratory staff meetings, journal clubs, continuing education and in-service education;
Perform related duties as required.
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
A Bachelor's Degree with at least fifteen credit hours in a biological or physical science
Class Specification History
New Class: 3-21-88
Revised new class code: (formerly 6450) effective July 1, 2007