State of Washington Classified Job Specification
IT SUPPORT TECHNICIAN 1
Class Series Concept
Positions in this series provide paraprofessional IT customer service, technical and/or operational support for IT professionals within one or more job family disciplines including IT Customer Support, Network and Telecommunications or Systems Administration.
Performs various paraprofessional IT support tasks depending upon the nature of the assignment such as receiving and resolving IT help requests from customers. Communicates with customers regarding outages, system problems and related information technology problems or issues. This may include responsibility for creating, monitoring, resolving and closing tickets within an issue management database and/or help desk system.
May assist IT professionals in acquiring, installing, repairing and retiring computer equipment, peripherals and software.
Performs entry-level paraprofessional IT support work. Serves as the first point of contact for customers. Provides primary non-technical IT support and/or limited first level technical IT support to end users to resolve basic IT-related issues.
Under general supervision, performs non-technical IT work assignments or assists higher level IT staff to resolve technical IT work assignments.
Performs a variety of repetitive and routine non-technical IT customer support tasks and/or completes structured entry-level technical IT support assignments for end users under the direction of higher level IT staff.
Performs basic IT troubleshooting and related operational tasks such as:
- Determining the scope of work and either resolving the issue or forwarding to higher level IT staff for resolution.
- Changing passwords, creating network accounts and mailboxes, assisting with network account and profile questions.
Work at this level usually affects the work of individuals and has little impact beyond the customer or immediate work unit. Work that impacts more than one individual occurs infrequently.
Performs highly structured, entry-level IT paraprofessional assignments within the following job family disciplines:
- Receives, records, routes, monitors and closes tickets.
- Determines scope of work and either resolves issue or forwards tickets to higher level IT staff for resolution.
- Responds to and diagnoses issues through discussion with customer;
- Uses issue management databases and help desk systems.
- Reviews assigned tickets and assists as needed to ensure service has been completed.
- Communicates with customers regarding outages, system issues and related information technology issues.
Network and Telecommunication:
- Performs technical tasks such as changing and resetting passwords, creating network accounts and mailboxes, assisting with network account and profile questions.
- Processes computer account requests and performs regular account maintenance tasks.
- Remotely troubleshoots issues, maintains user accounts, maintains agency-wide phone directory, sets up time-management accounts, performs key fob adds and recovers data from backup systems.
- Work not performed at this level.
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
High School or GED and twelve months of experience resolving customer issues.
Class Specification History
New classification, adopted June 13, 2019; effective July 1, 2019.