State of Washington IT Professional Structure
IT APP DEVELOPMENT - JOURNEY
The information contained on this page is a general description of the IT Professional Structure job family and level noted. The hiring agency or institution maintains positions descriptions with the specific duties and required qualifications for individual positions.
Allocation criteria for classified IT job families and levels is found in the IT Professional Structure Evaluator’s Handbook.
Job Family Definition
Work that involves the design, documentation, development, modification, testing, installation, implementation, maintenance and support of new or existing applications software.
Job Level Competency Description
• Fully competent, professional working knowledge of the principles, concepts and methodology at a proficient level in area(s) of assignment which has been gained by job experience or relevant advanced education.
• Requires competence to work on the majority of assignments independently with the exception of the most complex.
• Work is primarily focused on the modification, development or maintenance of existing technology.
• Resolves problems requiring analysis and the discernment of the most suitable solution(s)/processes(s) available. Selects from "in the box"/best practice models/strategies to resolve problems.
• Successfully completes tasks as requested. Help from senior staff may be required from time to time, but can usually perform the skill independently.
• Able to apply and enhance knowledge and skill to both usual and unusual issues.
• Needs minimal guidance in addressing unusual situations.
• Perceives actions needed in relation to obtaining goals.
• Understands and can discuss the application and implications of changes to processes, policies, and procedures in the assigned area of responsibility.
• Successfully completes diverse tasks of the job.
• Applies new technology (as applicable): Learns to operate and maintain new technology; assists in transitions.
• Formulates routines and standards of practice to complete assigned tasks.
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
Recruitment announcements will specify the specific desirable qualifications for the posted position.
New classification, adopted 06/13/2019, effective July 1, 2019.