State of Washington IT Professional Structure
IT QUALITY ASSURANCE - EXPERT
The information contained on this page is a general description of the IT Professional Structure job family and level noted. The hiring agency or institution maintains positions descriptions with the specific duties and required qualifications for individual positions.
Allocation criteria for classified IT job families and levels is found in the IT Professional Structure Evaluator’s Handbook.
Job Family Definition
Work that involves monitoring the software engineering processes and methods used to ensure quality. QA is a supporting process that has to provide the independent assurance in which all the work products, activities and processes comply with the predefined plans. The methods by which this is accomplished are varied and may include ensuring conformance to one or more standards such as ISO 9000 or a model such as CMMI. QA encompasses the entire software development process, which includes processes such as requirements definition, software design, coding, source code control, code reviews, software configuration management, testing, release management and product integration.
Job Level Competency Description
• Demonstrates mastery of a professional field. Consistently applies strategic expertise with comprehensive knowledge and understanding of assigned area(s).
• Research, recommend and guide the integration of new technology.
• Problems require the development of creative/innovative solutions, including new methods/procedures/approaches.
• Demonstrates knowledge of trends in field.
• Takes the lead in developing new processes to address business needs.
• Has an intuitive grasp of situations based on deep, tacit understanding.
• Uses analytical approaches in new situations or in case of problems.
• Considered the “go to” person in area of expertise within the organization and by outside organizations.
• Able to diagram or explain the relevant process elements and issues in relation to organizational issues and trends in sufficient detail during discussions and presentations, to foster a greater understanding among internal and external colleagues and constituents.
• Understanding of full business process (including anticipation of future needs), strategic direction, impact on internal/external stakeholders and internal organizations.
There may be instances where individual positions must have additional licenses or certification. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for each position.
Recruitment announcements will specify the specific desirable qualifications for the posted position.
New classification, adopted 06/13/2019, effective July 1, 2019.