State of Washington IT Professional Structure
IT SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION - EXPERT
Allocation criteria for classified IT job families and levels is found in the IT Professional Structure Evaluator’s Handbook.
Job Family Definition
Work that involves planning and coordinating the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of hardware, software systems and systems environment. Includes defining or coordinating common processes or procedures to support IT operations.
Job Level Competency Description
• Research, recommend and guide the integration of new technology.
• Problems require the development of creative/innovative solutions, including new methods/procedures/approaches.
• Demonstrates knowledge of trends in field.
• Takes the lead in developing new processes to address business needs.
• Has an intuitive grasp of situations based on deep, tacit understanding.
• Uses analytical approaches in new situations or in case of problems.
• Considered the “go to” person in area of expertise within the organization and by outside organizations.
• Able to diagram or explain the relevant process elements and issues in relation to organizational issues and trends in sufficient detail during discussions and presentations, to foster a greater understanding among internal and external colleagues and constituents.
• Understanding of full business process (including anticipation of future needs), strategic direction, impact on internal/external stakeholders and internal organizations.