Agency Financial Reporting System (AFRS)
The Agency Financial Reporting System (AFRS) is Washington State’s central hub for accounting information. It gives users the ability to pay agency bills, receive payments, reimburse travel and accomplish many other business financial processes. This system interfaces with numerous budget and accounting systems, and is one of the most widely used applications by Washington state agencies and higher education institutions. Most system users update accounting information daily.
To arrange testing your applications with AFRS, please review the Terms Of Services for AFRS Testing then contact Customer Support at HereToHelp@ofm.wa.gov or (360) 586-1000 to have an AFRS testing request started. Note: Once a request is received an AFRS team member will contact you to discuss your needs.
Press the ‘Clear’ key on your keyboard. Different keys can be mapped to be the ‘Clear’ key; yours may be the Pause/Break key, the Escape key, or the F12 key.
If AFRS is down, a message will be sent to subscribers via GovDelivery. You also may want to check with your agency’s Information Technology staff (Network Group) to see if there is an internal agency problem. If you are having difficulty, contact Customer Support, firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 586-1000.
AFRS creates warrant payments, but all warrants are processed by Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech). Once processed, they are sent to the Office of State Treasurer (OST). Warrants are then distributed to agencies from OST. Please call the OST Warrant desk at (360) 902-8994 for warrant location information.
The Warrant Register Detail reports all payments by batch. There are three sort options agencies can choose for this report:
- DWP82501 - Sorted numerically by payment/warrant number – this report will group each payment type together, but can make it difficult to find a particular vendor if you are unsure of the payment type.
- DWP82502 - Sorted alphabetically by vendor name – this report makes it easy to find any vendor regardless of the payment type and is the most preferred option for agencies using inserted warrants.
- DWP82503 - Sorted alphanumerically by current document number – this report can be used to display the payments in the same order as the input documents.
Use the Report Request Maintenance (RR.1) screen to update the number of Warrant Register Detail reports your agency receives or to change the sort option. If you need to reprint Warrant Registers and/or Vendor Remittance Advices, go to the MI.A screen. For more information on warrant register reports please see the AFRS System Documentation Reference Guide.
For full instructions on how to cancel a warrant please see the OFM Warrant Cancellation & SOL Automation Instruction Guide.
On the IN.3 screen (BATCH HEADER SUMMARY) place an L (PRINT) next to the warrant cancellation transaction and hit enter. This will bring up the IN.3.1 screen (ONLINE BATCH REPORTS). You then will enter an S next to the “DWP91002 Warrant Cancellation” report which includes the JV and you can send to either DIS or if your agency has a remote printer in the office it can be sent there. You will receive a copy in your daily reports the next day. If you want further instructions please see the OFM Warrant Cancellation & SOL Automation Instruction Guide.
Check to see if you can locate your payment on the IN.3 to make sure that it was released and that no errors are holding up the batch in question. The most common errors are incorrect due dates and trans codes.
- Due date error: Due dates are usually the current date but AFRS will process payments on the date selected. If a date is set for a future date, warrants will not process until the future due date arrives. To verify the due date go to the MI.7 screen and look for the due date. If document needs to be released prior to the Due Date go to the IN.2 add a PAYMENT COMMAND of PRINT and then on the PRINT SELECTION DATE (MMDDYY) enter the date that was entered on document this will release the batch to print that night.
- Trans code error: To verify the trans code go to the MI.7 screen and verify that a warrant producing trans code was used (210, 211,955…) If you find the trans code is incorrect you will need to reverse the entry and resubmit payment. How do I re-print my warrant register & remittance advices as I never received them? Answer: Go to the MI.9 and verify the Warrant Register Number. This will be the 5 digit Julian date noting the date the batch was processed. You will then need to go to the MI.A (REPRINT WARRANTS/REMITTANCE) screen and enter the WAR REG NO and then select the warrant information that you want to reprint. When the Job Submission screen comes up you can select where you want them to print but it is recommended that it be sent to DIS at LOCAL.
To verify actual payment date go to the MI.7 screen and entered the accrual date/payment date (YYMMDD).
The warrant register number is the Julian date of when the warrants were issued. It is composed of a combination of the year the warrants were issued along with the date of the year. For example if the warrants were issued on January 1, 2009 the warrant register would be 08001, (YYDDD). Many calendars will have the day of the year in small numbers in the upper corner of the day.
AFRS requires certain transactions (like encumbrance reductions) to have a reference document number that matches the original encumbrance. Research the original encumbrance document and add that document number to the later document's reference doc number field. There is an AFRS feature that assists agencies in liquidating encumbrances called “RETRIEVE AN ENCUMBRANCE” (function F* in the AFRS transaction input screens). For more information about using this feature, refer to page T1- 13 in the Transaction Input manual.
Check to see if you are in the correct fiscal year. At year end there are two fiscal years open and it will default to the new fiscal year. If you are looking for the last fiscal year you will need to change the fiscal year to view the data.
If you have update capability you can go to the RR screen from the AFRS primary menu then put N in at the function line and hit enter. You continue to hit enter until you see the letters BL in the location. You then enter a C at the function line make the changes necessary and hit enter. This will update it if you have a security level of 2 for this screen.
Agencies can look up the error codes from the ERROR CODE MANUAL on the OFM website. This guide provides you with ideas on what might be causing the problem and possible solutions.
Find the identifying information on what batch is missing and when it was entered. You can look through the file VSAM.FSMG105.AFPROD.LOG to see what happened with the batch and who might have deleted it or changed it.
See the AFRS System Documentation Reference Guide. Pages 14-15 cover the master inquiry functions that allow you to view payment information. (Master Inquiry screens. MI.7, MI.8, MI.9)
- AFRS training is available in the Learning Management System
- AFRS Basics & Financial Toolbox eLearning
- Selecting Transaction Codes eLearning
- AFRS Intermediate Training Presentation
- AFRS Intermediate Training Exercises
- AFRS Intermediate Trans Codes Training Presentation
- AFRS Intermediate Trans Codes Training Exercises
- AFRS Intermediate Trans Codes Training Exercise Answers
- Guidelines for Selecting AFRS Trans Codes Job Aid