Accessible and inclusive environment best practices
Creating an accessible work environment
- Ensure that all employees understand how to request a reasonable accommodation, including modifications to work areas.
- Ensure that all employees and supervisors are aware of reasonable accommodation/accessibility options for training courses (e.g., sign language interpreters and materials in alternate formats).
- Evaluate all workplaces to ensure that they comply with universal design standards.
- Designate staff knowledgeable about adaptive technology.
- Ensure that the organization’s Internet and Intranet sites meet Section 508 accessibility standards (in particular for screen-reader compatibility.
- Ensure that the organization’s reasonable accommodation policy is up to date, and that every employee is aware of the policy.
- Ensure that the organization has a designated reasonable accommodation coordinator.
Creating an inclusive work environment
- Implement a process to ensure all documents, including press releases and presentations, do not include derogatory, disparaging, or offensive references to persons with disabilities.
- Provide training to supervisors on creating a hospitable and inclusive work environment for persons with disabilities.