This procedure will provide recommendations to users accessing MyPortal using assistive technology such as JAWS (Job Access with Speech).
Recommendations are based on testing with keyboard only navigation using JAWS screen reader version 2019.1907.31 or later. Your user experience may differ based on the screen reader or browser you are using. Please contact your Human Resources office to report a barrier to access.
MyPortal is deployed as an application. While you access it through a web browser, the controls and navigation are designed as an application.
Accessibility Settings (JAWS)
If you are using JAWS screen reader, you may need to turn off the JAWS virtual cursor.
The ability to navigate to the Home Page or other tiles within the application is located at the top left of each screen. For the dropdown selections you can use the arrow, tab, or the shift+tab keys to navigate the selections. If no dropdown selection is available within a specific tile then use the back arrow or Navigate to Home Page icon.
Navigate available applications with keyboard directional keys. When focus is set on an application, hit the spacebar or Enter key to open.
After leaving the main toolbar, all applications are available as tiles that can be navigated with keyboard directional keys. Hit the spacebar or Enter key to open an application.
A menu for selecting individual applications is available in MyPortal and it changes based on where you are in the application. If you inadvertently select one of these menus, you can press ESC to exit the menu.
Note: While in the MyPortal environment, the applications mode takes over and it locks in that mode. To get out of the applications mode and return to the virtual mode using JAWS, press the virtual pc key twice.
Keyboard only navigation within the application is a combination of the Tab key and directional keys (left, up, right, down) to select application features and options. ESC will close a form window or return you to the main screen.
Available options to access a context menu are; pressing shift+F10, pressing the Context Menu key, or using a simulated right mouse click.
Note: Use the virtual cursor to access header information that is available on the My Addresses, My Communication Data, My Demographic Data, and My Emergency Contacts pages. Summary information is not automatically read by the screen reader and is not accessible by tabbing.
The Profile selection allows you to sign out, use the App Finder, change your Home Page layout, or change system settings such as display themes for high/low contrast options.
To access the profile settings:
Click the person icon located at the top right of the screen for a list of options. Use the directional keys to navigate the list. To sign out, use the directional keys to navigate to “Sign Out” and hit the spacebar. You will receive a message “Are you sure you want to sign out?” Hit the spacebar again to select OK and sign out of the application.
To change the system settings, use the directional keys to navigate to “Settings” and hit the spacebar.
Use the keyboard directional keys to navigate the settings options and configure your settings. Tab to Save or Cancel settings. On Save, you will receive a notification “Your changes have been saved”.
MyPortal has multiple themes to assist with contrast concerns. To change the theme:
Select the Profile link with User name at the top right screen.
Use the keyboard directional keys to navigate to the “Appearance” option (second item in the list).
Activate the Appearance options using the Enter key and tab to select a different theme. Tab to select Save or Cancel Appearance setting.
Form updates and system notifications
When updating forms you will receive system notifications.
System notifications for form errors may be due to missing or incorrectly formatted fields. For example, all Date fields require mm/dd/yyyy format.
System notifications are presented as a list. To view the system notifications list, select the messages button at bottom right of the form and hit the Enter key. Hit ESC on your keyboard to close the list of notifications, then navigate to the missing or incorrectly formatted fields to correct.
Save/Edit notification – If a save or edit is successful, you will receive a message “record saved”.
Delete notification – If a delete is successful, you will receive a message “record deleted”.
Cancel notification – You may cancel a change to a record prior to saving by selecting “Cancel” (located after the “Save” option). You will receive a “Cancel” notification. Select “OK” to confirm the cancelation.
The default format of the Earnings Statements is PDF. An HTML version of the statement is also available and the recommended format for users of assistive technologies. To get to the HTML version, tab past the default PDF format.
Sorting your earnings statements – Once the Sort By form has loaded, use the keyboard directional keys to navigate to the sort option and hit the Enter key to activate the selection. Tab to “OK” or “Cancel” to return to the main Earnings Statements page. Note: You must select an Ascending or Descending option and you may only select one of the following: Pay Date, Payroll Type, Gross Pay, Deductions, or Take Home Pay.
Grouping your earnings statements – Once the Group By form has loaded, use the keyboard directional keys to navigate to the group option and hit the Enter key to activate the selection. Tab to “OK” or “Cancel” to return to the main Earnings Statements page. Note: You must select an Ascending or Descending option and you may only select one of the following: Payroll Year, Payroll Type, or None.
Earnings statement columns – Once the Columns form has loaded, you can change which columns are displayed by using the keyboard directional keys to navigate to the column and hitting the Enter key to toggle the add/remove option. Tab to “OK” or “Cancel” to return to the main Earnings Statements page.
My Tax Forms
The default page layout has three sections; Filter for Available Online Forms W-2, Search Results for Online Forms W-2, and Display W-2. If a section is hidden use one of these methods to restore invisible elements; pressing shift+F10, pressing the Context Menu key, or using a simulated right mouse click.
The filter data will default to the most current year the Form W-2 was generated. Tax Company Name is the agency name on the Form W-2, it is recommended this field be left blank to ensure all Forms W-2 will be displayed if you worked in multiple agencies over the tax year.
To download your W2 form using JAWS:
- Open the MyPortal website and sign in.
- Once in the MyPortal home page press Right Arrow to reach the My Tax Forms tile, and press Spacebar to activate it.
- Once the Tax Forms page loads, keep pressing the Tab key to reach a table with the form documents. Note that JAWS will speak a lot of extraneous information before announcing you have reached a table.
- Press Down Arrow to enter the table. Focus will be in a check box to select the first document in the table.
- Press Right Arrow to read the columns for Tax Company, Year and Form Description to ensure you'll select the desired form.
- Once you find the form, press Left Arrow until you reach the selection check box before the Tax Company Name. Press Spacebar to select this check box.
- Press the Tab key multiple times until you reach the Display button with tooltip that says “Show W-2 forms”. This button will display the form as a PDF document. Note that JAWS will speak a lot of extraneous information before announcing you have reached the Display button.
- Press Enter or Spacebar on the Display button to display the PDF document.
- Press the Tab key multiple times until you reach the PDF Container. This is the area with the actual PDF document.
- For Edge browser:
- Press Insert+Z to turn on the Virtual PC Cursor.
- Press Down Arrow multiple times until you reach the Save button. Note that you will hear two erroneous pieces of information about the Save button. JAWS will say the Save button is unavailable, but it is available and you can activate it by pressing Spacebar. JAWS will also read Control+S as a keyboard shortcut for this button, but the keyboard shortcut does not work as you'll be prompted to save the MyPortal webpage (HTML) instead of the PDF form.
- Press Spacebar to activate the Save button and you will be presented with a standard Windows File Save dialog. You can specify the folder location and filename as you normally would when saving any document. Once you activate the Save button in this dialog, your document will be saved to the location you chose, or the Downloads folder if you didn't specify a different location.
- For Chrome browser:
- Press Insert+Z to turn on the Virtual PC Cursor.
- Press Down Arrow multiple times until you reach the Download button. JAWS will say the Download button is unavailable, but it is available and you can activate it by pressing Spacebar.
- Press Spacebar to activate the Download button and you will be presented with a standard Windows File Save dialog.
- For Firefox browser:
- Continue pressing the Tab key until you reach the Download button.
- Press Spacebar to activate the Save button and you will be presented with a standard Windows File Save dialog.
The Start/End Date format required is mm/dd/yyyy dash mm/dd/yyyy. While this format instruction is initially displayed in the field, it is removed when you start to enter dates and you will have to clear the field to get the prompt for formatting again.
Press the Enter key in the Date field when entering a leave request for more than one day. This will calculate the number of hours consumed. If you Tab from the Date field the number of hours may not be calculated.
Two options are available in the “Validity” drop down. The default value is “From Date”. Press the space bar to display the “From Date to Date” option. The “From Date to Date” option allows you to set your Emergency contact for a specified period of time.
Please be aware the Create button to add a mailing address is located in the heading area of the page to the right of the Permanent residence and Mailing address tabs.
My Demographic Data
Two options are available in the “Validity” drop down. The default value is “From today”. Press the space bar to display the “From date” option. The “From date” option allows you to update your demographic data for a specified period of time in the future but not retroactive.