Layoff is a staffing reduction strategy that can result in:
- Employment in a position in the same class or another class with the same salary range maximum.
- Employment in a class with a lower salary range maximum.
- Reduction in the work year.
- Reduction in the number of work hours.
- Separation from service with an employer.
Layoff requirements may be different for employees in bargaining unit positions. Consult the specific Collective Bargaining Agreement for more information.
Layoffs must be conducted according to an employer's layoff procedure. Generally, laid off employees are given both layoff options to other positions, and opportunities to have their names placed on layoff lists.