Types of employment
- Classified employees are subject to civil service law RCW 41.06 or similar statutory provision.
- Most classified employees are union represented and covered by collective bargaining agreements.
- Washington Management Service (WMS) employees are classified but not represented.
- Non-Classified Covered employees are in positions exempt from RCW 41.06 but covered under a bargaining agreement or regulation.
- At-will employees serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority and are not represented.
Percentages of chart may not total 100 due to rounding.
Includes permanent and nonpermanent employees.
General government (excluding higher education institutions).
Last Updated: 10/11/2022
Time Period: as of 09/30/2022
Update Frequency: quarterly (end of fiscal quarter)